Channeling or mediumship is a psychic ability that allows unique individuals to act as mediators between the living and the dead. It requires specialized practice and a level of natural psychic aptitude.
They use various methods to communicate with these spirits, such as trances, seances, pious boards, and so on.
So how do they communicate with these spirits?
For an individual to be an effective medium, they must possess certain psychic senses, which allows them to interact or sense the prescience of the spirit. They must also have spent years honing and controlling their general psychic abilities, as channeling can be a bad experience for the inexperienced.
A few of these special senses are:
- Clairvoyance or “clear seeing”: This is the ability of a psychic medium to see people or objects that are not physically present using their mind’s eye.
- Clairaudience or “clear hearing”: This is the ability of a psychic to hear the voices of spirits. Using this ability, they can relay the wishes of the dead to the living.
- Clairsentience or “clear sensing”: This is the ability to feel the presence of a spirit nearby or perceive the desire of a soul to communicate.
- Clairsentience or “clear feeling”: This is a state in which a medium bears the physical sensations felt by the spirit during their lifetime. It could be their manner of death or other significant events.
- Clairalience or “clear smelling”: This occurs when a psychic medium can perceive scents peculiar to or of significance to the spirit, such as their favorite brand of perfume.
- Clairgustance or “clear tasting”: This is the ability of the medium to taste impressions that were significant to the spirit.
- Claircognizance or “clear knowing”: This is the ability of a psychic to receive knowledge from the spirit, not as a sense but directly as a revelation or epiphany.
Different types of channeling
Most people think of channeling as a one size fits all thing, but there are many kinds of mediums. Everyone is blessed differently and manifests their gifts in different ways. Here are a few of the common types of medium channeling:
- Trance Channeling: This is usually seen among the Shamans of various cultures. The medium allows an external force or spirit to use their body as a doorway into the physical realm. The soul may speak or manifest through the medium in various ways. This is the most dangerous form of channeling because, without the proper preparation, the entity may take control of the host.
- Conscious channeling: This is similar to trance channeling, but the medium retains full consciousness during the process. They repeat the information which is passed along from the spirit. This is safer than trance channeling as the medium retains more control and can generally end the session whenever they please. However, there is still a chance of the spirit taking over if the medium is not adequately prepared.
- Automatic writing or painting: This is a more artistic form of channeling. The medium allows the spirit to communicate through writing or art. It is especially popular among families or people trying to find closure by completing the unfinished work of their loved ones.
How to safely be a medium
Channeling is a beautiful gift, but it can be dangerous without proper preparation and guidance. Before one can channel the spirits, they must prepare themselves mentally, physically, and spiritually. There are also a few techniques and routines they must go through regularly to keep their mind pure and in tune as possible.
As a medium, it is crucial you continually strengthen your inner mind. Use special meditation techniques to increase your ability to focus your inner spirit and tune into auras that others may be unable to detect.
It is also a great way to cleanse the negative energy or pass traumatic experiences from your psyche, which you can pick up from channeling an unpleasant spirit or event.
While being a medium is a gift, not all of it is an inborn skill. There is a whole world of psychology involved in being able to accurately understand, interpret, and communicate the desires of these spirits to their earthly listeners.
It is also crucial that mediums know how to help their clients deal with this information and the emotions it may bring forth. Nowadays, mediums are more of counselors than psychics.
Mediums can channel all sorts of spirits, and not all of them are pretty. Sometimes a psychic may find themselves under the influence of an evil spirit or reliving a traumatic event.
Such things leave lasting impressions, and it is wise that all mediums go on regular cleansing to protect their psyche and soul.
Pros of psychic channeling
- It is an excellent way for families and individuals to find closure, especially when dealing with the sudden loss of a loved one.
- Automatic writing or painting is a unique way for artists to finish incomplete work and share their vision with the world.
- Psychics have been used many times by the police as tools for solving crimes and cold cases that have stumped them for years.
- It’s an infinite source of knowledge from older and wiser spirits and previous mediums who have lived before us.
Cons of psychic channeling
- It can be a traumatic experience for both the medium and the client if not correctly handled.
- Sometimes the information gotten from the spirit may be misleading and cause further chaos.
- Sometimes the medium can return from a trance completely fragmented or damaged by the experience.
- Some fraudulent mediums have used this as a means of defrauding their clients and taking advantage of them.
Channeling is a beautiful thing and a way for people to communicate with those dear to them and finally move on with their lives. It is a lovely gift that should never be abused. We learn from the spirits and, in turn, help them find rest and return balance to the world in any way we can.
If you have a news tip, correction or comment, let us know at: firstname.lastname@example.org