Table of Contents
Are you leading a stressful life and are you willing to try anything that can help lower your stress effectively? Read on. Below you will learn about the microcosmic orbit and the benefits of using it as a technique to bring back peace and harmony into your everyday living.
In the US alone, more than half of the adult population is stressed. The problem with stress is that, if it’s not managed well, it can cause serious health issues to come into being, from diabetes to heart disease.
This is why engaging in various stress-relieving activities is important. One of the most effective for lowering one’s stress levels is meditation. There are a handful of ways to meditate. No matter which method you go for, the fact remains that it promotes calmness, stability, and self-awareness.
Getting to Know the Microcosmic Orbit
In Taoism, which is a Chinese philosophy and religion, there is what’s called the microcosmic orbit. Also sometimes spelled as the micro-cosmic orbit, it is a way to make energy (also known as “chi”) flow from one point on the body to the other, thus completing the microcosmic loop. This loop goes from your belly button, the base of the spine, the entire length of the spine, the top of your head, down your face and chest, and back to your belly button.
Are you familiar with acupuncture points and how traditional Chinese healers say that energy flows throughout the body by means of those points?
Well, the microcosmic orbit is pretty much like that. But instead of making energy move from one acupuncture point to the other, its practice involves allowing energy to orbit the body by means of the different meridian points. What’s so nice about it is that it can be performed without thin needles jabbing your skin.
Before we proceed with how it’s done and the reasons for you to give it a try, let us first briefly discuss the macrocosmic orbit. Put simply, it lies outside the microcosmic orbit. This means that it runs through your upper and lower limbs. Doing the macrocosmic orbit technique comes with its own set of benefits.
How the Microcosmic Orbit is Performed
To make sure that you get to enjoy the various benefits of the microcosmic orbit, it’s of utmost importance that it is done correctly. Otherwise, you may only end up wasting your time.
Fortunately, it’s not that difficult to learn it. By having patience and determination as well as by doing several practices, you can perform this Taoist meditation technique without any hitch. Take a look at the following easy steps to see for yourself that it doesn’t take a lot for you to learn how to do the microcosmic orbit properly:
1. Go to a quiet area where no one will be able to disturb you.
2. Sit with your back straight — having proper posture is very important.
3. Close your eyes and imagine a white- or gold-colored ball on your belly button.
4. Let the tip of your tongue touch your palate, and then imagine the ball moving downward.
5. Imagine the ball circulating your body through the meridian points mentioned above.
6. Picture the ball slowly but surely moving from one point to the other.
7. It’s also recommended to imagine a line connecting each point that the ball travels to.
8. While picturing the ball moving, take slow, deep breaths.
9. Allow the ball to orbit your body several times until you feel completely relaxed.
If you have tried meditating before, then you are not going to have a hard time doing the steps above. That’s because the microcosmic orbit technique is a form of meditation with ancient Taoist roots.
This is why it is being practiced by a lot of people who are leading stressful lives as it can help lower their stress. Keeping too much stress at bay is important for attaining physical health and mental wellness, too, and that’s why reducing stress can help you live a long and happy life.
Various Benefits of the Microcosmic Orbit
So how many perks are there microcosmic orbit technique brings? There are many of them! Although Taoists usually do it to attain higher consciousness, we can perform it for different purposes.
Here are some of the benefits that you can get from doing it regularly:
· Lowered stress. The stress-reducing perks of the microcosmic orbit technique cannot be denied. What’s so nice about it is that you can do it practically anywhere — in your bedroom, at the office, or on the bus. If you’re in a noisy area, you may put on a pair of headphones and listen to soothing tunes while performing it.
· Reduced anxiety. Usually, stress and anxiety go hand in hand. This is why this simple meditation can help you attain mental relaxation and clarity, too, if you are experiencing unbearable stress. The more that you practice the microcosmic orbit technique, the better that you can become at dealing with anxious thoughts.
· A good night’s sleep. Both stress and anxiety can cause insomnia, which is a bad thing as sleep deprivation can leave you more stressed and anxious! To break the vicious circle, imagine a ball of energy circling your body via your meridian points — it’s what the microcosmic orbit technique is all about.
· Stronger immune system. Thanks to the relaxing effect of the microcosmic orbit technique, it can help prevent stress-related issues before they wreak havoc on your health. It is known that meditating also strengthens the immune system, which is why you may end up with the cold or flu a lot less.
Once you have tried doing the microcosmic orbit technique, feel free to come back to this page and share your experience with it in the comments section below!
If you have a news tip, correction or comment, let us know at: firstname.lastname@example.org